What is a residence permit in Latvia?Residence permit in Latvia – is the right to stay in the Republic of Latvia or in the territory of other Schengen states for more than 90 days within six months from the day of entry. The temporary residence permit in Latvia is issued for 5 years.
As of 1 September 2014, amendments to the Immigration Law will impose new requirements on transactions that entitle foreigners to apply for temporary residence permits in Latvia.
According to the amendments, the minimum threshold of the real estate value for such transactions is increased to EUR 250 000, with the minimum cadastral value of such property being EUR 80 000. If the cadastral value is below this amount, an evaluation of a certified appraiser is required stating that the market value of the facility is not less than EUR 250 000. Such conditions are applied to real estate acquisition in all regions of Latvia.
According to the amendments, the acquired real estate must be one functionally related and developed facility. The acquisition of a land plot with no buildings on it, agricultural land or forests will not be considered as grounds for obtaining a residence permit in Latvia.
The duty for obtaining a residence permit is determined as 5% of the real estate value.
How long does it take to get a registration of residence permit in Latvia?
The process of obtaining a residence permit in Latvia takes from 2 weeks to a month.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED IN APPLYING FOR TEMPORARY RESIDENCE PERMIT FOR 5 YEARS
To apply for temporary residence permit, the following documents shall be presented:
• a valid travel document acknowledged in the Republic of Latvia - passport (valid for 1.3 years after obtaining of the sticker);
• a definite sample form for a residence permit request;
• a photography;
• a statement on having no criminal record, issued by a competent institution of country of citizenship or residence (for foreign nationals over 14 years), if the foreign natioanl has been staying there for more than 12 months;the statement shall be legalized in the Republic of Latvia;
• a document confirming the necessary subsistence (minimal wage in triple amount – 960 EUR a month; means of subsistence for a year; means of subsistence for spouse – 320 EUR a month; for a child - 60% of minimum wage – 192 EUR a month for each child);
• a document approving the envisaged place of residence in the Republic of Latvia and the rights to stay there;
• a document confirming that payment for purchase of the real estate has been made in the form of clearing settlements;
• a document stating that the foreign national has not any property tax liabilities if the real estate has been the individual’s property for more than one year;
• a payment document confirming payment of the stamp duty.
The sticker of temporary residence permit shall be issued for one year. 30 days before expiry thereof, a foreign national shall submit the following documents for repeated registration of the residence permit:
- a health insurance policy for the following year;
- statement of local government on confirmed payment of property tax;
- a document confirming payment of the stamp duty.
Resolution on issuing of a temporary residence permit is valid for three months. If the resolution has not been picked up within the said term, the whole procedure shall be repeated.